 |
| my favorite childrens book |
Is it possible that a childrens book could inspire me to alter the way that I think about a home? I remember reading this book when I was a little girl and I snagged a copy of my own a few years ago at a used book sale. Thus began my love for the charm of an older home. (that and the fact that my parents have a love for remodeling and renovating) The idea that you can take something that was well built, but neglected, and make it new again is what made me descide that it would be best to stay in out first home and make it what I wanted, instead of building new.
Our little house story began in 1939. Waaaaayyy back then the government would give you money to put in a basement. Most people would live in the basement (with a roof) until they had saved enough money to add a main floor to the foundation.
 |
| Our home circa 1952 |
In 1944 the Mayhew's finished the main floor. The home was kept in the family until the mid '80's and it was sold, and then sold again a few years later (housing prices were going up and up) We bought it in May of 1996 shortly after Paul got a job just down the road at Chromalox. He spent two weeks driving from Providence in Cache Valley and had had enough. We spent one weekend looking at homes with a realator and hadn't found anything. The next weekend Paul was busy doing yardwork at Grandpa King's home where we lived in the basement apartment, but sent me down to find us a house. I picked my Mom up and said a prayer that I would find something. I descided that instead of looking in Ogden I would drive around where I thought it would be nice to live. We drove out to North Ogden. I felt better out there. Then we went out to Pleasant View, where there wasn't much in our price range. I continued on down the road and near the end I spotted a for sale sign and pulled over. After going through the home I called Paul. This was it. This is where I felt like we belonged. The house wasn't anything to be crazy about. I mean, I studied Interior design in college, but I could tell that this little cottage had potential. It had only been on the market for three days, and there was someone else who had put an offer on it. So I bought it without Paul even seeing it. Oh boy what did I get myself into.....alot of work!
 |
| Our home about 1997 |
No comments:
Post a Comment