Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Keepin the fire going

One of my favorite things about winter is those days that I get to stay home all day and keep the house warm with our woodburning stove. It's not so much that I have to stay at home to "tend the fire", because once it gets going you just add a real beefy log and then turn it down and it will burn all day. I just like how the house feels on those days. I love the radient feel of the heat.....and so do the kids. They will often ask me to build a fire (apparently I am better at it than their Eagle Scout Dad...or they are all just used to asking me to do everything;o)

Yesterday I had a fire going and the the kids came home from school and flopped on the couch and all stretched their toes towards the source of heat. "Aahhhhhh."
Then they had a great time roasting marshmallows.
I even got ambitious and made dinner and dessert in the dutch ovens. I have to go to girls camp this year, so I figured I should practice. When the fire was all coals I just put the dutch oven right into the wood stove and left it there. When the meatloaf I made for dinner was done I just stuck in the peach cobbler. Both turned out great.
I haven't had allot of practice so I was surprised that things weren't raw/burnt.
Does anyone have a really good dutch oven recipe they want to share?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Yummy! I wish we had a fireplace here. It sure makes things cozy. I will email you with any recipes I might have for dutch ovens.