Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Trouble with Gifts

To give or not to give....that is the question. NOT! The real question is WHAT to give. What to give Co-workers (for Paul) and Neighbor gifts (for me) seems to be the hardest at our house. Then it is followed by what to get friends and family. The kids present another problem of narrowing things down, and making sure they still want that item by the time Christmas rolls around.
I was reading an article this morning about the worst Christmas Gifts people had gotten. Have you ever gotten a really strange gift? Have things ever been really unfair? Did Santa ever forget you?


I can never seem to remember what I bought and for whom the year before, so Paul has had me keep track since 2003. We enter everything we get (or plan to get) into Exel as well as how much it cost so we can at least attempt to stay within budget, and keep track of who gets what. It makes it alot easier to make sure that the kids get about the same amount of money spent on each of them. It also usually means that the two of us know what we are getting, and for Paul it works great since he doesn't like suprises. He tries to get me one or two "unexpected" suprise gifts since he knows how much I like that sort of thing.
This year we thought that we were doing so good until last night when Paul went to check on an order from Amazon.com and discovered that even though he ordered in November, it will not arrive until Dec30th-Jan9th. I think we got at least half of the kids gifts in that order.


As far as bad gifts? A guy I dated when I was 16 that gave me a humidifier. I wasn't sick or anything, so I really didn't understand why he gave it to me.

3 comments:

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

That stinks!

Sounds like we may have dated the same guy.. Mine took me to Burger King where they were having a special on their hamburgers and cheeseburgers he asked which I preferred so I said cheese of course.. so he ordered me one (and that was it) and then proceeded to order him a whopper combo... BTW it won in Boise as the worse date story.. by my friend who lined us up..

Curtis and I still joke about it to this day!

Kristen said...

What a great idea to keep track of what has been given. I hava a hard time remembering from one year to the next what and whom I gave to. I think I will start doing that starting this year!

Heather said...

Good News! Amazon.com was able to get our stuff shipped. Phew!