I do try once a year to get my family out for a family portrait sitting. Of, course there is some murmuring and complaining, and alot of time spent in the bathroom getting people picture perfect, but I insist on making time to capture a moment in time together as a family.
Why? Because I always want to be able to look back on the photographs and see how my family has changed. I consider it an important part of documenting our families history visually.
What does this picture say about us this year? Nicole is growing into a beautiful and confident young woman. I look a little frazzled from running back and forth between the camera to set the timer (my old Canon had a wireless remote that was handy, but this one doesn't) I am wishing that I had lost just a few more pounds, but am happy to get this done. Paul is working hard and has the grey hairs to show it. It was funny that his Ralph Lauren shirt did not have buttonholes on the tabs at the sleeves... we didn't know this since this was the first time wearing this shirt. Erik has braces and is proud of the fact that at 14 he is taller than his older sister and about to pass up his Dad. Natalie is just starting Young Womens... and who knows if she will get much taller. Karl is as he has always been, just a little camera shy.
After we took the one that I knew I wanted on the wall we did this one. I tried to capture everyone doing something that represented them. Karl is holding a spyglass because he is always interested in looking at things and learning. Natalie is writing notes in a book and being observant. I am taking pictures, Nicole is sitting on a suitcase because she went to Europe this summer and loves travel and adventure. Erik is wearing Boy Scout pants and shirt because he worked at a scout camp this past summer. Paul is in the back looking at a map because he gives our family stability and direction. I was very happy that everyone cooperated for this one.
![]() |
| I think the kids are smirking in the background :) |
I encourage everyone to get together as a family often to capture what your family is like at a particular time. Don't wait for you to lose that few extra pounds, or for it to be convenient, because it will never happen if you are waiting on things like that. Capture your family in a moment of time so you can remember years from now what they were like.



No comments:
Post a Comment